Subject: RE: [Leica] Rangefinder or SLR?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:04:50 -0500

At 01:10 PM 12/29/1999 -0000, B. D. Colen wrote:
>True, and you could also choose to do all your photography on glass plates.
>A Visolflex is an interesting artifact of the dawn of the reflex age -
>whether or not they continued to be manufactured until relatively recently.

Sorry, BD, but you missed my point.  The original query was simply about
the limits of the M system, and I simply pointed out that the M system can
be expanded, rather dramatically, by the Visoflex.  If I were shooting
sports for a living, I might sink to an SLR but, otherwise, I'd avoid one
like the plague.  Hell, I own a nice Canon EOS 10s set with some gorgeous
lenses -- but it is just a heavy, clunky camera compared to a Leica M, and
its not been used in two or three years now.  As to macro and micro work,
it doesn't matter the platform to which my Micro-Summars and Luminars are
attached:  any camera is equally limited doing this sort of work.

Understand me:  the Visoflex allows the basic M to be expanded to include
the full range of photography possible within the sharp confines of the
35mm format.  The average photographer spends 90% of his or her time, I
suspect, between 21mm and 135mm;  to suggest that such a photographer
invest in an M6 for most of their work and to then invest in, say, an R8
for the remaining 10% strikes me as economic lunacy, especially when a nice
Viso III, the three basic Telyts, and a Bellows II for half the price, or
less, of the price of an R8.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!