Subject: Re:[Leica]Leica price fixing? Not exactly
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:58:17 GMT

This is true as far as it goes.  However, several niche manufacturers have
worked around this rule using a creative purchasing contract with retailers.

Here is how it works..

A manufacturer produces a product on which they want absolute price
stability.  (Bose speakers for example)

They approach the retailer with a proposition.  We will sell you product
XXXX.  You, Mr Retailer, may sell this product for any price you choose.
However, if you choose to sell it for below the price contracted, we will
CHOOSE not to sell more of these items to your chain.

This backdoor "price fixing" has been the standard M.O. for BOSE, Maytag and
recently Kitchenaid brand on certain models of dishwashers.

Interestingly this practise is only employed by manufacturers who feel that
there is NO DIRECT COMPETITION from other brands for their product. (A bit
arrogant I think)

Of course many retailers love the idea, since it takes price out of the
equation for the customer, and typically on the highest priced goods.

I am have no idea if this is how Leica is controlling the prices charged for
their products. Considering the fact that it is unlikely that they even
offer much Ad subsidy to their retailers,and that the price of Leica goods
does seem pretty non negotiable, I would not rule out the possibility.