Subject: [Leica] The Corcoran -- Annie Leibovitz: Women
From: Bill Caldwell <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:26:40 -0500

To LUG, and LUGGERs in the Mid-Atlantic area:

On Wednesday, I trooped over to The Corcoran Art Gallery (Washington,
D.C.)to take in the photography exhibit, Annie Leibovitz: "Women."  The
exhibit consisted of seventy photographs from her recent book, "Women."
Despite the book reviews of some, I found the images -- all portraits of
varying types and shapes -- well thought out and in instances, striking.
However, the color photo printing, which was done locally, was
disappointing to me, as it was done by ink jet on watercolor paper,
resulting a matte finish with large grainy pixels within the portrait
image.  The black and white portraits did not have these traits, or
these traits were not as evident.  (As a result, I had a greater
appreciation for the black and white images.)  Another distraction for
me was the printing/assembly of these large prints which required
matching different thirds or even quarters of the individual print
resulting in very evident seams or lines through the image, sometimes
with a resulting small mismatch within the particular photo.

Notwithstanding, if you are close to D.C., or the exhibit goes on tour
and is at a gallery close by, I encourage you to take the time to see
it.  The exhibit is at the Corcoran until February 28, 2000.  See a
write-up at,<www.corcoran.org/museum/featured_shows.htm>.

Best to All in the New Year!

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia