Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: RE: All hail Tri-X
From: "jonathan kott" <kottjn@mailcity.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 08:31:56 -0800

I have'nt seen anyone mentioning agfa's scala x as a personal preference. excluding the cost, it seems to be a great film, but I've shot less than a half dozen rolls of it. Any opinions on this film?

Happy New Year!
Jonathan

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:59:18   George Huczek wrote:
>I think this film discussion is pointing out that personal preferences
>determine the film and materials that photographers use.  There is no
>"best" choice, though some would argue otherwise.  There are also
>compromises that have to be made, regardless of the film chosen.  One can
>chose from a wide palette.
>
>   Tri-X, as was noted, has exceptional tonality, the ability to be pushed
>several stops, and the ability to tolerate slight processing errors.  It
>has a unique look that has given it a prominent place among photographers
>for several decades, and it's still going strong.  Nice film.  HP5+ can't
>be pushed as much, but has beautiful, crisp edge effects and different
>tonal qualities that some prefer.  Nice film.  T-Max has finer grain and a
>contrastier look, has much less tolerance for processing errors, and has a
>more limited range of options for proper development.  Nice film as well.
>I hope that sums up each.
>
>   So what do I use?  All three.  If I am fortunate enough to have some
>idea of what I will be photographing and what the lighting will be like, I
>choose the film that I think might give the particular effect that I would
>be trying to get.  That may sound crazy, but with B&W films, one has a wide
>palette of films, developers, toners and printing paper surfaces to work
>with.  I'm still working on this system, trying to establish which film I
>like best in particular circumstances.  TMax gives me 8x10s that appear
>much sharper, so I use it for group photos that will likely be reprinted
>and enlarged.  For candid "street" shooting I like both TriX and HP5+,
>since often I have no idea what I'm likely to find, so I can't choose the
>"look" beforehand.  I like HP5+ for landscapes, but often switch to a
>slower film for that kind of thing.  For portraits I haven't settled on
>which film I like the best; they all give a different look but are suitable
>with different people.  Indoors with flash I like HP5+, especially if the
>background goes completely black; it gives very strong, sharp separation.
>If I had to pick one of these three films and abandon the other two what
>would it be?  Well, it would be ... sorry, got to go ;)
>

>At 09:04 AM 31/12/99 EST, Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:
>>I feel like the lone ranger. Maybe I should do this like an AA meeting . . .
>>
>>My name is Bob and I use T-Max . . .
>>
>>We made the switch about 10 years ago.[cut]
>>When I look
>>back at my Tri-X stuff it just looks "old fashioned" -- the grain is courser
>>and not as smooth. I don't know what to say . . . I just like T-Max . . .
>I'm
>>so ashamed . . .

LYCOShop is now open. On your mark, get set, SHOP!!!
http://shop.lycos.com/