Subject: [Leica] Re: Passport Un-Warranty
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:09:12 -0800 (PST)

"Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com> Wrote:
Now here you may have an idea!

All products that you buy have warranty cost built
into the
price in some
way.  Wouldn't it be nice for Leica to offer a palate
of
warranty options to
their customers, much like retailors do.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bill writes:
Yes Dan, that is exactly my point.  Anything over the
two year standard Leica international warranty should
be an option.

Dan wrote:
From there they could move up through 2-3 and 5 year
add on
warranties,
along with added benefits.  (for more money of course)

Bill writes:
There are two things Leica needs.  (1) Sales. (2) To
restore customer confidence in it's products.

Leica could help fill both of these needs if Herr Cohn
would wave his hand Monday morning and declare that
all Leica products now come with a 5 year
'International' warranty.  Generally, the products are
good enough to support this.

Dan wrote:
Another issue is the difference in expectations
between
American customers
and folks from "abroad".  We are picky as hell, and
really
actually have
some of the worlds lowest tolerances for product
failures...Probably
unreasonably at times.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bill writes:
I am sorry Dan, but you are totally wrong on this
issue.  Americans could care less about quality.

If you doubt this, just look at the quality of our
food.  Read the label on a can of anything and look at
all of the crap we allow manufactures to put in there.
I think in Germany there are only 4 things you can put
in food, and one of them is color.
Do you realize the amount of residual growth hormones
and antibiotics there are in American produced meat?
That is why the EU countries don't want to import it.

When was the last time you saw a recall on a BMW or a
Mercedes?

When was the last time you heard of a defective
Norelco electric razor?

Why is it that Europeans have 1000 times more train
traffic than we have with an almost ZERO rate of
accidents?

Do you really think the quality of the American
education system is equal to education systems of the
Northern European countries?

Speaking of cars...do you realize that a European car
made for European delivery has significantly (1)
Better gas mileage (2) Lower tail pipe emissions (3)
Better performance than the same car made for American
delivery?  If other words, European manufactures must
lower their standards for cars made for and delivered
to the America market.

No Dan, American quality, when compared to European
standards, is a myth.

Bill