Subject: [Leica] It's not soup
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 16:51:49 +0000

Mike D.: >>>I'm souping everything in Xtol and my Tri-X pictures are
much
finer grained than my old stuff.  The grain structure is still the same
but
you only see it on smoothly textured areas.  Is it the film or
developer?<<<

Definitely. I personally think Tri-X is one of the film that Xtol
doesn't really improve...I don't like the tonality as well, although the
grain is noticeably finer and the film is sharper. Just my opinion.

Xtol is like aspirin...a wonder drug. It markedly improves many films,
at least if you think "improve" means significant gains in the areas of
sharpness and (especially) finer grain with no loss (and sometimes even
a slight gain) in speed.

I don't think you can do any better than D-76 1+1 for old Tri-X.

Dan K.: >>>I have used both Tri-X and HP5+ and the latter is miles
ahead<<<

Puh.

And a Wunderplastik AF SLR with a zoom lens the size of a deli sausage
is "miles ahead" of an M6 and a 35mm Summicron.... ;-)

- --Mike