Subject: Re: [Leica] LFI 50th anniv. strange combo
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 06:17:49 -0700

The goggled 35mm was primarily meant for the M3. The M3 had no viewfinder
frame for 35mm and therefore the ocular attachment modified the field of
view so that the 50mm frame showed the 35mm field. You can use this lens on
the M2 and it brings up the 50mm frame and shows the correct 35mm field as
well. The first 35mm for the M mount cameras brought up the 50mm frame (just
like the 21mm) and were supposed to be used with a separate shoe mounted
brightline viewfinder. So sometimes you can find an early 35mm lens with no
goggles that brings up the 50mm frame on the M2/4/5/6 cameras. Many have had
the bayonet mount modified to engage the 35mm frame instead of the 50mm (it
then brings up the 135mm frame on the M3). I have not yet seen the 50
anniversary publication of the LFI but do not forget that a camera that
looks like an M2 could be an MP especially as the goggles would obscure the
MP's (M3 style) raised edges around the viewfinder/rangefinder windows.

John Collier