Subject: Re: [Leica] Last sunset of Y1K
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 16:40:47 -0800

> My son, who lives north of Anchorage, Alaska, wanted to know when Seward's
> Folly was split away from the North American continent!

Ok, Ok, Marc, "the lower 48". Please give some slack to someone who
remembers well when Alaska was admitted as a state, but has forgotten the
real meaning of continental!

Anyway, this morning with P30 chemistry warming up in the CAP40, I selected
one of the photos which I had taken at Cape Mendocino and developed last
night. For about one minute, some dramatic maroon light had opened on gray
skies over the cape, while I had the 21mm mounted on the M6.

The transparency made a fine 16x20 inch Cibachrome print, I matted and
framed it, and was hanging it on the wall at the new Humboldt Arts Council
building at 12:15 while inauguration ceremonies were going on in the main
hall. By the time I left, over 500 people had come by the ceremonies, and I
watched a few of them observing the picture. It was fun to see the reactions
when they realized that the photo had been taken just a few hours ago.

Here is the caption I included with the print:

"Millennium Last Light - Cape Mendocino - December 31, 1999
Cibachrome Print      Gary Todoroff

Thirty miles south of Eureka, the geographical elbow of California called
the Lost Coast juts farther west than any other place in the continental
United States [sorry again, Marc!]. For a more westerly landfall, you have
to go north to Vancouver Island in British Columbia or down to remote Byrd
Land in Antarctica.

On December 31, 1999 at 4:45pm, Cape Mendocino saw the end of the day, the
year, the 1900's, and the 1000's. A brief reddish tinge of light kissed our
coast goodbye, and the sun set on the last day of a millennium. "

All in all, a great way to end a century with my Leica!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger