Subject: Re: [Leica] All hail Tri-X
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 17:56:09 -0800

Brian Reid wrote:

>I've been reading over this Tri-X discussion with interest, also.>>>>>

Hi Brian,

As have I and found it interesting, because I used Tri-x for years and
switched to Tmax and tmax developer when it came out because I liked what I
saw.

Not right at the beginnng because it was necessary to change the developing
method. Once I did that I felt I was getting beautiful negs and was happy
with the film and look.

The bulk of the pictures in the book "This is Our Work." are shot on Tmax,
some Tri-X and some early images, Hp5 processed in Microphen.

Recently I had the pleasure of printing some 35 year old negs and was
surprised at the smoother look of the prints.  Now the Tri-x and tonality
topic created some thought of why did the 30 old negs print the way they
did giving such wonderful results. It wasn't until the "tonality" factor
came to mind that I finally realized, that even though the Tmax images I've
shot for sometime are good negs, they don't have the look of these beauties
from 35 years ago.

One other thing that I've finally done, try XTOL develpoer 1:1. Quite
frankly I can't imagine going back to Tmax developer after what I've seen
this past few weeks, even Tmax film looks different, better........negs
appear smoother? Not sure what it is, but the prints almost look like those
old images. Nice!

The EXTOL makes Tri-x AND Tmax look smooth. The pictures aren't any better,
but  the prints look better! :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant