Subject: [Leica] Schizophrenic Tri-X
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 23:41:38 +0000

There are two Tri-X's, and they are indeed different films. One is Tri-X
Professional, which is available in 120 and sheet film sizes. Those
emulsions are coated on different bases and have different codes: TXP
and TXT respectively. They are ISO rated at 320.

The other is Tri-X 400. This is ISO rated, obviously, at 400. It is
available only in 35mm and 120 sizes, and its code is TX.

If you buy 35mm Tri-X, it can only be TX 400; if you buy sheet film
Tri-X, it can only be TXT 320; where the confusion comes in is that you
can buy EITHER film in 120 size...either TX 400 or TXP 320. They are
different films, so, if you shoot 120, watch out that you don't confuse
one with the other.

ISO rating is done according to a highly exacting process, and does not
always equate to the "right" speed you should rate the film. Generally,
ISO ratings tend to exaggerate film speed for most uses.

All of my comments have been about TX 400. I don't use TXP or TXT.

- --Mike