Subject: [Leica] Commentary on recent posts: Tri-X and Minilux
From: lbonser@worldnet.att.net
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 21:04:07 -0800

Everyone,

Enjoy the newsgroup...here's my commentary on two recent threads.

1. Minilux. I don't experience the shutter/focus delay Steve Huntley
mentioned. I've blurred a few photos because my subject (usually one of my
dogs) moved too fast for the limited shutter speed, but I've never
experienced the shutter delay.

I have, however, experienced a delay with the flash due to the red-eye
reduction. I usually shoot with available light and prefer to turn the flash
off. This, in my mind, is the only fault of the Minilux--it doesn't remember
the flash mode when you turn off the camera. I wish I could set a default
flash mode (in my case it'd be "off") and have it remember this.

2. Tri-X. I shoot Tri-X largely because I can always get a print off this
film. I've had too much trouble with other films. I've shot some T-Max and
developed according to directions and it came out way, way too dark. Shot
some Delta and it came out way too light.

I know how to develop film and usually follow the directions to a "t". When
I don't it's because I'm experimenting and I'm deviating by choice.

I like the look of Tri-X and so far, so have all of my friends that I've
shot. I've done baby pictures as a gift for a co-worker who had just adopted
her first child, I've shot "bedroom" photos for a friend as a present to her
boyfriend, and I've shot all sorts of candid shots at work. Everyone always
comments on how great the pictures are.

So...I use Tri-X because it's dependable. It always comes through. I'm a
hobbyist; I don't make a living with my photography, but if I did, this
would be an important consideration.

Later,

Les