Subject: Re: [Leica] summicron dr
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 21:32:12 +1100

Guy Bennett wrote:

> lugfolk,
>
> what's the skinny on the summicron dr? is it just that if focuses closer
> than the non-dr summicrons? (and if so, what's the big deal?) does it do
> any other tricks?
>
> at this point, it's just curiosity, but in the past, curiosity has
> inevitably lead to the excessive spending of money, and as w. blake wrote,
> 'the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.'
>
> guy

  Guy, It also brews coffee. Actually I don't quite understand your question,
when you say "what's the big deal?".

The big deal is: A near focusing lens focuses near, contrary to a non near
focussing lens which doesn't.

The secret is: If you want to focus closer to an object, you use a close
focusing lens, if you don't, then you don't need to use a close focusing lens.

The reason it is (was) more expensive than its normal counter part, are "

1.) The focussing mechanism on the lens barrel is more complicated
2.) It uses a set of clip on extra eyes when using close focus. This of course
also costs money to produce.
I own a DR Summicron. Quite a few times, the close focussing facility helped
me getting the picture I wanted. I just wish there was an even closer
focussing lens for the M's (not the Visioflex) available. However I suppose
the parallax correction would be to complicated to do this.

I find this lens most useful. The quality is also very good.

Regards, Horst schmidt