Subject: [Leica] Contax
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 18:56:23 -0000

Hi

Skip Williams was asking about Contax ......I noticed that there were a lot
of replies which suggested that people were confusing his request with one
about LTM.

As far as it goes, I have a Kiev 4, which is a Russian copy of the Contax
111, having a built-in light meter.

Handling with a 50mm is excellent, and the vf is better than an LTM IMHO,
though not up to M standards. The rf is excellent, very accurate, bright and
easy to use, an of course uses the same eyepiece. BIG drawback is you have
to use a separate vf with lenses other than 50mm. The lenses themselves (and
I'm talking about the Russian ones here) are very nice, the 85mm f2 in
particular being a gem. 50 f2 similar. They are all direct copies of the
Zeiss originals, and the Russkis are good at optics.

There are some quirky bits- the bayonet takes a bit of getting used to, as
does the peculiar wheel focus for the 50 (it's easier just to rotate the
lens with your left index finger- the action should be very light.) Film
changing is easier than on a screw Leica, but you have to take the back off,
and the take-up spool is not attached- take care! Easy to lose. The large
film advance knob is easy, and after a while you get used to a sort of
double twist of the hands which will advance and cock the shutter in one
movement. It's very easy to cover the rf window with your finger, so a bit
of trial and error is needed to get a grip that suits you (well it did for
me).

They are heavy though- noticeably more than a Leica.

You can buy the Kievs for pretty cheap- about £100 GBP for a good one with a
50f2 and case. The Contax 11 copies- without the meter- seem to be much
harder to find. The meter is, well, okay in an emergency.

Contaxes themselves seem to vary a lot in price, but they're all much more
than that. Personally I'd get a Kiev, and if you really like it and the name
bothers you, get a Contax later. I think you're always going to get your
money back on the Kiev, as long as you're careful, but with Contax prices
being all over the place, you might lose out- but bear in mind that Contaxes
are that much more of a collectors' piece. My experience is that the build
quality on the Kiev is fine, BTW.

Slow speeds on the shutter can go off, but these cameras are as repairable
as Leicas, so this is not a real issue.

If you're looking for a user and you don't mind the extra bulk, I'll stick
my neck right out and say I'd choose the Contax (well actually the Kiev)
over the early Leicas (runs for cover), but if size and weight are a big
factor, then the screwmount Leica wins hands down. Having said that, if I
could get an M for a hundred quid then...............

Skip, if you want me to ping you a couple of pix to show the lens quality,
contact me off-list.

Cheers

Rod