Subject: Re: [Leica] Don't read this, Bernard
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 15:55:47 -0500

Mike,

I agree with your issues, in general, but there are those of us that don't
have the facilities for doing anything with 4x5 negatives. (like me)  I
sold my 4x5 camera with its 90 and 210 lenses years ago because it was a
pain to use and I couldn't get the negatives enlarged easily.  Now I don't
have room for an enlarger, much less a 4x5 enlarger, so I've gone chemical
for my B&W film developing, and digital for printing (via a film
scanner).  I loved the negatives and transparencies that I got, but they
sit in the drawer mostly.

So the easiest and most versatile way for me to fine-grained photography is
to use Agfapan 25.  I used to use Tech Pan 2415, but it wasn't very easy to
work with, although I got great results with (I think I remember this
right) Technidol (??) or using custom-mixed chemicals (which I won't do again).

I keep considering getting a used MF camera, but not yet.  It will be just
another toy.  I need to continue to refine my vision.  As you mention, the
flexibility and spontaneity that I get with 35mm is unparalleled, and
unless I have more time, I'll stay with that route. (I don't expect to get
much more time though, I have two girls 7 and 4, and they don't leave me
much free time.)

Skip

At 1/3/00 12:54 PM  +0000, you wrote:
>Anyone who uses a 35mm film slower than ISO 100 is using the wrong
>format, except perhaps if all their shooting is done under studio
>conditions. A 4x5 rig is simply not that expensive, especially if your
>preferred 35mm brand is Leica. You can buy a whole 4x5 setup--new--for
>the price of one of the more expensive Leica lenses, and have cash left
>over for film. Invest in one! To those who prefer Leicas yet are
>concerned that slow films might be "best," get with the program--you
>need to look at more great Leica photography. Most of the great Leica
>photographers did not, and do not, use namby-pamby, candyass slow films
>because they were afraid of a little grain. They used faster films
>because they were concerned with being able to photograph the world
>around them with some degree of freedom.

Skip Williams
Westfield, NJ
skipwilliams@pobox.com