Subject: [Leica] Re: slow films (WAS: Don't read this, Bernard)
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 08:39:44 +0100

Mike,

I disagree with you here. I will use Agfapan 25 in one of my Leica SLRs for
landscape or
macro shots, with tripod of course. When taking pictures pf stationary
objects on tripod, there
is no reason to not take advantage of the added resolving power of the
slower films, coupled
with that great Leica glass. On my wall is a 12x8 in. print of an APX25
negative; it is a picture
of a tiny branch in my garden, with rainwater drops and a spider web. The
most minute details
are visible. I doubt that I could have done much better with a medium format
or even 4x5.

The same SLR body, when loaded with PJ800, is used to photograph my son's
soccer games. If
I had a 4x5, there is no way I could take those pictures with it. That is
why I have Leica: it is,
*for me* the universal system; any other format would be too specialized to
justify.

Nathan

Mike Johnston wrote, in part:

> Furthermore, anyone who uses any film slower than ISO 100 for general
> photography in this day and age is inviting more technical problems (in
> terms of motion blur, camera shake, and wide apertures) than can
> possibly be compensated for by the slower films' alleged properties.
> T-Max 100 or 100 Delta in Xtol will probably LITERALLY out-resolve any
> traditional 25-speed film, but with the 4X increase in speed factored in
> it's _nolo contendre_ as to which will yield higher image quality in
> most picture-taking situations.
>
> Anyone who uses a 35mm film slower than ISO 100 is using the wrong
> format, except perhaps if all their shooting is done under studio
> conditions. A 4x5 rig is simply not that expensive, especially if your
> preferred 35mm brand is Leica. You can buy a whole 4x5 setup--new--for
> the price of one of the more expensive Leica lenses, and have cash left
> over for film. Invest in one! To those who prefer Leicas yet are
> concerned that slow films might be "best," get with the program--you
> need to look at more great Leica photography. Most of the great Leica
> photographers did not, and do not, use namby-pamby, candyass slow films
> because they were afraid of a little grain. They used faster films
> because they were concerned with being able to photograph the world
> around them with some degree of freedom.
>
> Sheesh!
>
> --Mike

- --
Nathan Wajsman