Subject: [Leica] Re: Contax/Kiev
From: Mark Langer <"mlanger@ccs"@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 06:39:51 -0800 (PST)

owned mine for several years and know several others who own the same
model.  I have never had a problem with the lever film advance, nor do I
know anyone else who has.  Has anyone on this list (including you Steve)
experienced such problems, or is this basically hearsay?  I must admit
that I use the knob wind on mine as frequently as the lever wind, so maybe
I just haven't been making much of a demand on this component.

As far as Kiev/Contax lenses not fitting the Kiev 5, it lacks the inner
bayonet mount of the other Kiev/Contax cameras.  Hence, it takes a
dedicated 50mm lens that fits via the same external bayonet mount that is
found on all other Kiev/Contax camera.  All other focal lengths in the
standard Kiev/Contax mount will fit with no problem.  I've never seen a
Kiev 5 for sale without the 50mm lens, so I doubt that this variation
would be much of an inconvenience.

I should point out that not all models of this camera have bright lines
for 85mm.  This is a distinct advantage and the ones with this feature are
the ones that should be sought out.

McKeown's lists this camera's value as around $350, as I recall, but I
know that some were listed for auction on eBay some time ago and did not
come close to this figure.  A clean Kiev 5 with 50mm Jupiter lens should
be obtainable for less than $250.