Subject: Re: [Leica] ......... chromo film.......
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 19:16:39 +0300

claire wrote:

> Dear All......
> Any of U out there use (almost exclusively) chromogenic film (eg.
> kodak TCN400 , Ilford XP2 , Konica VX400 ) when  doing available lite
> photography ?
>
> By upping the ASA to 800 or 1600, U will still have grain free
> pics.....
>
> Just want to know how and whether or not U guys take advantage of such
> film. How heavy a weightage U place on the choice of film when doing
> available lite B&W photography.
>
> Since the chromo films are sharp , grainfree, able to be upped in the
> ASA without any loss of quality......... wouldn't this be THE choice
> over the staple TMax series and such....? What are your views and
> experiences ?

They are not grainfree. Okay, it's not called grain, but blobs, or
whatever. Every film can always be broken down to something. I have used
this stuff at 3200 and it looked truly horrible. I should try 800 or
1600 some day, but most people say that it's best used at 200. So when
you say that it can be pushed to 1600 without loss of quality, you are
clearly taking a minority position.

Bernard