Subject: Re: [Leica] Off with their Pedestals!
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 13:21:31 -03-30

At 07:44 AM 04/01/00 -0800, you wrote:

>I hope you folks dont think me to cruel but look at some of the web sites
>of luggers and compare their work to Marshalls.  I would say a majority of
>you would be able to out shoot him anytime.  This is not to put down
>lugger just to point out how much better your work is.

         Yeah, but HE did and we DIDN'T!   You can't compare apples and
oranges. He did a specific thing at a specific time and documented a
sub-culture when very few were. That type of access and work is not
possible today.

How many photographers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

100! ... one to screw in the bulb and 99 to say "anyone could have done
that if they had the...."  (insert your choice)

a/ money
b/ equipment
c/ access
d/ contacts
e/ contracts
f/ assignments
g/ rich spouse...

.... and many, many more excuses.

         What makes great pictures is great vision. Leicas, lenses, film
and processing help but they are not the starting point.

What do you call 100 photographers in your basement?
A WHINE celler!

apologies if you have heard these jokes before. They seemed timely.

cheers,

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart