Subject: Re: [Leica] Technical Pan Sharpneness & Camera Vibration
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 11:26:13 -0800

Paul Roark wrote:
><Snip> t (e.g., Slik 800) tripod to give top resolution.
>
> My question to the Leica experts (there must be a few sharpness freaks in
> this group):  Is the Leica shutter smooth enough to give top resolution
> with a 90 mm (or even 75) lens, shooting both horizontally and vertically,
> on a light (less than 3 lb. total, including head) tripod, at all speeds?
> I'd consider 90 lines per millimeter, in both the horizontal and vertical
> sets of resolution lines on a test chart to be the minimum one should
> expect at f 8 from a good lens with the camera on a tripod that is capable
> of controlling the vibration from the system.  (If the answer is "no,"
> those of you who like to shoot landscapes and travel light ought to take a
> look at a good Rollei TLR.)
>
> Paul Roark
> http://www.silcom.com/~proark/photos.html

I think in the Leica system the cloth shutter is famous for it's smoothness-
tweeted for decades.
The price we pay for a low sync speed is ultra smoothness.
I have done much work with Leica's 90 Elmarit and brand new 135 APO whatever and
I find shooting telephoto with Leica's a viable and excellent experience.
I won't claim to have done sophisticated testing with slower films yet though.
I doubt you will be disappointed with your longer lens results from you Leica.
Lots of people think of a 50 as a long lens for a Leica (M) and I sometimes see
their point.
And the longer lens are quite a bit heavier than most of the shorter ones.
It's awful nice to not have to lock up a mirror and just shoot.
And I am also a big shooter with my Rolleiflex 2.8 f.
Mark Rabiner