Subject: [Leica] Review of Winder M
From: Robb Williamson <Williamsonimages@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 00:54:05 -0500

Good Afternoon to all members of the LUG and LEG out there. I wanted to
throw my hat in the ring after lurking for a couple of years and give my
thoughts on the Leica Winder M. I put it on Santa's list and got one for
Christmas. It was bought new - made in Canada.  I'm not aware if the latest
version (that I now know to be discontinued AGAIN!) was ever made in
Germany or Portugal, but I'm curious.

I really like the construction and find it only slightly taller than Tom's
rapid-winder.  I am used to large cameras with motor drives and find the M6
with the winder to fit in my hands fine. I actually find the M6 by itself a
little light and susceptible to shake, especially with the 90mm. The winder
helps dampen any camera shake. I am a left eye shooter and really like to
keep my eye to the camera without taking it away to wind each shot. The
winder makes this possible and makes it easier for me to quickly bracket
shots. I am used to fast paced news and sporting events and find that the 3
frames per second can come in handy. It can go through film faster than I
thought. You still have the option of winding the film manually the same as
before. The winder isn't totally quiet (like my Hexar af - Is there any
thing as quiet?) but seems better than the many other types for other
makes. Now, I don't feel I HAVE to only use the SLR's for work and have
included the Leica M6 as my main working cameras for all focal lengths 90
and under. I really like the option of this winder and hope that Leica puts
out a new model (priced reasonably) to keep this accessory in its lineup.

I'm really looking forward to adding a 21 or 24 summicron one day and an
M-4. I better start saving my money now. I see that it could be pretty easy
to catch the collecting bug of all that is M Leica.  My thanks to Ted and
Eric for their advice on making the switch.

My 35mm images have evolved to the next level since going to the Leica M6
and I will have my web site up soon.  Please visit williamsonimages.com in
February and take a tour.

Robb Williamson
Colorado
williamsonimages@compuserve.com