Subject: Re: [Leica] Making a living at this? (Long)
From: kabob@tiac.net (Bob Keene/Karen Shehade)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 09:31:53 -0400

Hi Les-

I recently (4 years ago) went from a career in the entertainment industry
(comic/actor/whore) to a career in photography. Always been an avid, if
imperfect amatuer.
Went to a local photog school and took a night course in BASIC photo and
darkroom skills- was immediately hooked! I also discovered that I was
'good'- others encouraged my development. I signed up for a 6 month
intensive- the New England School Of Photography offers a two year "trade
school" approach to the photographic career path- years ago they had an
alternative; the two year course compressed into six months!
I've wound up as a wedding and portrait photographer; do some commercial
stuff on the side. It is not easy!!
My years as a comic pay rich dividends in dealing with people. But it's
ALOT of work; the shooting part is 'fun' (if you can call the pressure of
wedding photography 'fun') but then there are the hours of post-production
and albums and carding negatives into the wee hours- oh, yeah, then the
paperwork, marketing planning, tax planning, I'm not trying to discourage
anyone, but don't think that it's just "Taking Pictures."
It's a complex job, that demands lots of time. You must be a businessman,
or you'll easily be out of business.

Now I have to go and put together wedding albums for the next three hours,
then I have a meeting with the president of a large jewelry store to see if
I can become the "recommended photographer", then I meet with two sets of
potential wedding clients, then I will be trying to figure out some new
promotional material. Oh, and I'll try to say 'hi' to my wife when she gets
home from her job- the one that pays the bills!!! People ask me, "Why did
you get married?" I reply, "Because it was a good merger for my
corporation!"

Good luck, and remember, when you're self employed you wind up with a
million bosses!

Bob Keene

oh, yeah, I should also say that- YES, I DO LOVE DOING THIS!