Subject: [Leica] revisiting M6 loading woes
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:44:57 -0500

LUGers,

After having no problems loading my M6 for many months, I had a batch of
Kodachrome 64 and Tri-X that gave me some real problems.  I think the
problem lies in the little wave in the film just behind the leader  that
results from Kodak's loading and/or packaging procedure.  When you load the
film in an M6, the wave is positioned just inside the rightmost part of the
shutter mechanism, and can catch and prevent the take up spool from doing
its work.  I don't know why this has never happened to me before. The moral
of the story is that if a roll of film is not loading properly, try making
sure that the film wave clears the shutter entirely before closing up. Or
you could try trimming the leader past the wave.

Jonathan Lee