Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica KE-7A with 50mm f/2.0 Elcan on Ebay
From: "RP Johnson" <rpjohnson2@home.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 00:20:06 -0800

Martin wrote: (in part)

> I thought I'd read somewhere it was a cheapened version of the 50 Summi.
> Not that it matters: I still don't get it.
>
> M.

Neither do I.  But that hardly matters in the greater scheme of things.  The
camera is a military version of the M4, built for the US military.
Apparently more were built than "required" for the contract.  The extras had
no US military number on them and were made available to Leica distributors.
The production run was 550 units; minus the military ones (who knows?); so
there weren't many of these puppies left for the po' folk.

So what is a mint, never used M4 worth these days?  Especially if it has a
little "extra" history, plus a unique (read: rare) 50mm lens.

In my hands, this little beauty would take no better photos than a mint M6;
but in the hands of a collector, it would be a thing of joy forever.

rp johnson