Subject: Re: [Leica] Going Pro - not as grim as it sounds
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 22:01:49 -0800

Jim Laurel Wrote:

>>>Classical Cartier-Bresson style photojournalism is certainly on the
>>>wane.  I blame that on the way modern media saturates us with so much
>>>eye candy, that
serious work like Salgado's hardly gets noticed by the general public.

But classical photojournalism still has several inspiring practitioners,
such as David Alan Harvey, William Albert Allard, and of course, Sebastiao
Salgado.  If you have the talent and the means to subsist for, say, 5-10
years with no income, you could focus on self-assignments that would go a
long way to jump start your career.

The best advice my father ever gave me is to never listen to people who tell
you something is risky, can't be done, or is impossibly difficult.  If you
truly have the passion, nothing else matters and you will succeed because
you will be the best.>>>>>>>>>

Hi Jim,

<<<<<I blame that on the way modern media saturates us with so much eye
candy, that serious work like Salgado's hardly gets noticed by the general
public.>>>

I agree with you completely.  TV and talking heads have very nearly wiped
out any understanding by the masses of fine photojournalism, not that I
believe they ever appreciated it anyway.  It's mainly 30 sec. talking
bobbing heads and ......"behind me is....." etc etc etc.....

<<<<<If you have the talent and the means to subsist for, say, 5-10
years with no income, you could focus on self-assignments that would go a
long way to jump start your career.>>>>>>>>

Aaaaaaaaaaah the secret come forth!:) But how many young folks can last
this long without monetary return to survive? Let alone many who have
struggled for an equal and double number of years to make a go of it doing
what they truly believe in?

Some make the effort, struggle through the 30 year growth period or longer,
only to have it torn from their grasp by unscrupulous publishers or
visually challenged editors. I would say if you have the talent and money,
go for it.

But not every photographer is wealthy, I know a few who are, well their
wives are wealthy!

(key phrase for you young guys not yet tied to a poor one or young gals not
locked onto a heart throb looser)) :)  Get one with mega dollars, I mean
really big mega dollars!!!!:)

I'd go the route you have prescribed...do your own thing and publish your
own   book...books. You can do very well in this field even if you have the
money up front and not a great deal of talent! Although this may eventually
catch up to you, unless you have an unlimited amount of money and a "who
cares attitude! I'm publishing."

<<<<<The best advice my father ever gave me is to never listen to people
who tell you something is risky, can't be done, or is impossibly
difficult.>>>>>>

Well my long gone father gave similar advice..."If you want it bad enough,
Go get it. If you love it with all your heart and great passion you'll get
it! Most important, "Keep your pecker in your pants until you get it!"

And I've always tried to live by that, not that one of my sons understood
it! :)

Doing what you want in photography isn't as bad as some of us pros have
laid out, but it's damn well easier if you have the money and the talent
together!

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant