Subject: [Leica] Whither Leica C1?
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 13:35:17 EST

Wow. I didn't know I was getting spammed by Leica AG until I read my email
this morning. After downloading the 1.4Mb brochure for this pocket monster
(not Pokémon), I am very puzzled.

(1) How can they say that camera looks like an M with a straight face? Looks a
     lot more like a Hexar Silver than an M6. The C1 is actually much more
elegant
     than the Ms.

(2) How did they come to choose the inside pictures? Except for maybe the
shot of
      the child coming down the stairs, I thought they were pretty hard on
the eyes,
      in a sort of over-Kodachromed modern way (which from going through a few
      books on modern German photography does not seem to be limited to
Zuborn).

(3) What can you do with an f/10 100mm lens? Aren't you better off setting
the
      thing to 50 and moving in? Does that mean flash for every closeup shot?
When
      you look at the pictures they show as examples, how do you
differentiate the
      accuracy of the AF system from the huge depth of field, even at the
long end?

That's not to say I don't like compacts - I am quite fixated by the Elph Jr.
with its 35/2.8 for "spy work," but I find it hard to see how such a slow
zoom is practical.