Subject: [Leica] best cleaner for elements held with spanner rings
From: Kurt Hurley <khurley@san-jose.tt.slb.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:57:17 -0800

All,

The riskiest part of cleaning any lenses is the amount of wiping required
to remove whatever is on the lens. Even after a pre clean with  air can
burst and a gentle first wet wipe, fine particles captured between the wet
tissue and the elements can cause micro abrasions on the polished surfaces.
I find that using Ronson Lighter Fluid is the safest thing for UNCEMENTED
lenses. It cleans a lens immaculately with one or two wipes, compared to
several wipes required with water based cleaners. The chances of scratching
the glass are thus much reduced and it is absolutely multi coating safe.
Since its highly flammable you should use caution and not carry too much in
a bottle. It also evaporates very readily so the container must be very tight.

At 06:25 PM 1/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I own about 25 of them.  I think they are the best method for keeping
>"collectors" lenses in perfect condition.  I would hesitate to use them for
>normally dirty lenses since they would tend to accumulate dust that could
>scratch the lenses.
>
>Tom Shea
>
><< What is the general opinion of the Lens Pen?  As a cleaning device, that
>is. >>

Kurt Hurley IDS 2000 Product Marketing Manager
Schlumberger T&T - Diagnostic Systems
1601 Technology Drive San Jose CA 95110
email khurley@san-jose.tt.slb.com
PH 408-437-5156  FAX 408-437-9031 PG 408-699-4587