Subject: Re: [Leica] sailing & photography
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:17:11 -03-30

At 03:03 AM 12/01/00 -0800, you wrote:

>i think, a super-wide-angle will be very usefull for photographs on the
>boat while sailing; i think also, that there will come nice pictures from
>landscapes and available-light scenes at night with people in the
>harbours;

         Yes a 20 or 21mm will be your best friend for onboard photography.
Short tele (75 or 90) for tight shots of your friends "in action"

Once you get to 135 and over, shooting on a "bobbing" boat will require
higher shutter speeds.

>do you recommend some special protection for the camera? i think,
>salt-water is one of the worst enemies of cameras & lenses (also sand); is
>there danger from small salt-water-particles "flying" in the strong wind?

         The plastic bags are more trouble then they are worth.
Unless, your camera takes a "direct hit" of sea water you will be fine....
and unless you are standing/sitting/shooting REALLY close to the water this
is unlikely to happen.  Take some time to watch how the bow of the boat
breaks the water and watch where the spray lands.... and don't stand there.

         Normal salt air and sea spray won't hurt you cameras.  Just keep a
clean drying cloth in your pocket a wipe off water as it occurs.

HOWEVER!!!!  Salt water and moisture leave residue.  At the end of a "wet
day", wipe your cameras and lenses with a damp (fresh water or cleaner of
choice) cloth to remove residue... you will be able to see it.

This is one of those times to consider using filters on your lenses. Salt
residue may damage multicoated lenses over a period of time and you WILL be
cleaning your front elements MANY times a day.

I've worked on ships and fishing boats for 15 years and the only camera I
have lost to the sea  was off the stern of a deep sea trawler somewhere
between Newfoundland and the Azores....  if anyone sees a Nikon F3
with....  NEVER MIND...

If you have never been on boats before, be prepared for sea sickness  :^)

Hopefully, Donel will be able to offer up some "warm water" advice.

Happy sailing ... you lucky dog :^)

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart