Subject: Re: [Leica] What to bring to Hawaii
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:26:54 -0700

ryuen@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I'm planning a trip to Maui and Kauai this June, and I'm trying to
> decide what is more appropiate to bring on the trip. [snip]

I'd probably take the Canon and 28-70, if it's an f/2.8 or so. If
slower, take the Leica. If you get a 90 for the Leica, it becomes sort
of a toss-up. A 70-200 (f/2.8?) sounds like fun but if it weighs like
Nikon glass, I'd consider leaving it at home or at the hotel if you're
planning on walking around a lot. A polarizing filter is a great idea.

Though I've spent about 30 years of my life in Honolulu, I haven't
visited Maui in years, but if you've never stood at the edge of a
volcanic crater, you really ought to see the aforementioned Haleakala.
The town of Lahaina is kind of touristy but well worth a visit to see
this former whaling town. Kauai is very photogenic, has gorgeous
isolated white sand beaches (I have no idea how you climb down from the
scenic overlooks!), red soil and even a miniature Grand Canyon. Much of
Kauai feels rural and lush and you should have plenty to keep you
entertained. Have fun photographing by the ocean too, but maybe wipe
down your gear with a damp washcloth when you return to the hotel.

For what it's worth, when I'm in the islands, I like:

Korean Bar-B-Q plate lunches
Kozo Sushi
MOS Burger
Ghost stories!