Subject: Re: [Leica] A more interesting question
From: Ed Buziak <ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 07:54:39 +0000

Mike,

My personal choice "for the century" would be Henri Cartier-Bresson because
his
photographs give me much pleasure and inspiration... and because the
subjects are
not there any more. He caught them in an instant before they were gone.
Otherwise Ansel Adams would be hign on my list... although his images have
great beauty his subjects are still mainly there and so can, by and large,
be
photographed again by his followers.

Interestingly, when I look at the UK weekly and monthly photo-fodder
(Amateur Photographer and Practical(ly) Photography), most folks who have a
portfolio within those pages, and here I stress that invariably their
self-defining subjects are glamour, kitch still-life (painted cloths-pins on
lines, intentionally paint-dribbled old boots or rubber gloves... that type
of thing <s>), *colour* landscape, sport, wild-life, etc... their choice of
favourite photographer nine-times-out-of-ten is Ansel Adams. Go figure!

Perhaps the latter gravitates towards the "no arguing"  category... however,
it's just my observation of the British snapper.

And I'd like to put a consolation vote in for Ralph Gibson and Jock Sturges
too!

Ed Buziak / Publisher
"Camera & Darkroom"

ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk