Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographers of the Last Century
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:19:23 EST

In a message dated 1/13/00 8:10:59 AM, Buzz@marianmanor.org writes:

>Steichen & Stieglitz...for creating AND spreading the gospel.

I'd like to nominate two NON-photographers for honorable mention:

Roy Stryker and Cliff Edom

Roy Stryker because of his leadership of the Farm Security Administration's
group of photographers. These photographers and their work established the
foundation of documentary photojournalism which continues (somewhat) today.

Cliff Edom because as head of the photo department at the University of
Missouri he saw the merit of what Stryker was doing. He brought Stryker to
Missouri to start the Missouri Photojournalism Workshop and began the process
of teaching this style of photography both at the workshop and at the
University of Missouri School of Journalism. Many old timers will tell you
that Edom -- who is credited with coining the word "photojournalism" -- is
responsible for incorporating the documentary style of photo reportage into
mainstream daily journalism.

Bob (guess where I went to school) McEowen