Subject: Re: [Leica] Get rid of SLR's?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:22:53 +0000

At 10:07 AM 1/12/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Chris Birmele wrote:
> >
> > I am about to join Leicaland and would like to get some advise if I should
> > get rid of my (heavy) Canon equipment (I own a couple of F1-N with lenses
> > ranging from 24-200mm).  I often hear that SLR's and Rangefinder complement
> > each other.  If yes in what respect?
>
>In real life I find it harder to justify having two 35mm outfits and
>with some regrets I sold off my Nikon. I'm glad that I did because I was
>then forced to focus on learning the M well, and I had fewer
>distractions as I built up the M system. It would be very tempting to
>buy some relatively inexpensive Canon glass instead of Leica, but that
>doesn't solve your basic weight issue does it. Also consider turning in
>the F1 for newer EOS gear for the weight savings.

I have to disagree with Jeff on this. Rangefinder and reflex outfits are,
indeed, complementary, and each does some things better than the other. If
I could have afforded to do it, I would definitely have held on to all my
Nikon equipment - based around an F3 - when I began to build up my M
outfit...The Canon F1n is a terrific manual SLR - heavy, to be sure, but
reliable and solid enough to use as a hammer when the need arises. And the
lenses are terrific. If you really feel compelled to get rid of something,
dump the wide angles and normals, and keep all the teles...

B. D.