Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm IMAGES
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:36:25 -0000

Dan,
Good to hear from you.
I only got Ted's book a month or so ago (I chose the cheap and slow option
of surface mail from Canada!) it's certainly a mammoth tome.
I think in cultures like the Karenni they are so distant from our own
understanding of society it must be hard for some westerners to comprehend
a fair proportion of their habits. I've always thought that it is strange
that if we can bring ourself to eat an animal, why not any animal. The
reason of course is sentimentalism. But I suppose the borderline
illustration between pets and food is rabbit, probably a 50/50 split?
I filmed some young RAF recruits going through survival excercises late
last year. They had to kill their chickens to provide them with meat. It
was interesting that many declined to kill but were still happy to eat.
Myself I figure that if you're prepared to eat, you should also be prepared
to kill, but I guess if that was implemented the world would have rather
more vegetarians!

Asa someone else on the LUG commented, what happens when we discover the
amount of feelings that plants have? How compassionate can we feel towards
them?

anyway, enough ramblings,

Jem