Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: re Braun Nizo 2056 FS
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 22:16:26 +0800

>a Braun Nizo
>2056 sound super 8 cine camera with Schneider macro-variogon f1.4/7-56mm
>lens... this magnificent machine was the swan song of the German
>amateur cinematography industry, but maybe you know someone who collects
>such industrial artifacts."

Well, no -  the 2056 wasn't anything like the swan song. The Nizo 6080
probably was - it was certainly a long way advanced beyond the 2056. In
fact, the 6080 may be the greatest Super 8 camera ever made: to me it is
preferable to the Beaulieu 7008 and 9008 Pro.
Of course the Leicina Special was in a different league - truly a special
camera.

However, the 2056 is a nice camera and is still worth using (lovely lens).
Over the last few years there has been an increase in the amount of Super 8
film used - as people see how much better quality it is than video, and how
much more pleasing the image qualities are. A projected Super 8 or even
Standard 8 film makes ALL consumer video formats (including DV recorded on
a 3 chip camera) look decidedly second-rate.

Super 8 is also flavour of the month with some advertising people - but
that's not exactly a difficult thing to achieve.

So the FS post should end "... maybe you know someone who wants a decent
Super 8 film camera to use."

Price? I'd say about UKP 250 if it is in good working order. These cameras
can be converted to crystal sync. for sep-mag sound - there is, of course,
no com-mag Super 8 sound film made now.

The Marriotts might be interested in buying it.
(http://www.marriott.u-net.com/)

Regards,
Malcolm