Subject: [Leica] Portra VC
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:04:15 -0800

Hello Leica Friends,
This is a bit off topic, but I know of no better group to ask.  I'll be
shooting for the next few weeks in Burma, and part of the assignment is to
shoot spherical panoramas.  Sometimes these are called "photo bubbles".  You
can see some on http://www/ipix.com.

Anyway, the most-used film for these things is Ektapress 100, due to its
wide latitude (there can be wide exposure variances in a bubble photo).
However, Ektapress is pretty flat or at least neutral in color balance, and
I'm looking for a film that will give me the same wide latitude, but with
richer colors and without excessive contrast.  So, I'm thinking of trying
Kodak's Portra 160 VC.  Reading Kodak's specs, this would seem to be an
ideal film to use for surrounds.

Can any of you comment on this stuff?

On topic: Taking .72x and .85x M6 and CL bodies, along with 21 ASPH, 35
Summilux ASPH, 50 Summicron, 50 Noctilux, 90 APO Summicron, and the new 135
APO Telyt.  I'm planning to shoot only Ektachrome 100VS in the M cameras,
and Tmax 100 and 400 in the CL body.

Thanks for any advice on the Portra,
- --Jim Laurel