Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 baseplate
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:39:52 -0700

on 14/1/00 8:20 pm, Mark Rutledge at markrut@ticnet.com wrote:

> John Collier wrote:
>>> I assume you want the mechanism to work the Leica film cassette. <<
>
> I'm not sure I know what the mechanism is(forgive my ignorance). Could
> someone explain this to me? My M6 dates from '92, so I guess I don't need
> it, but am curious.

Leica produced reloadable film cassettes for the screwmount cameras (black
operating peg) and for the M cameras (chrome operating peg). Normal bulk
load cassettes have a limited life as they use felt light seals that
gradually acquire dirt particles that can scratch the film. The Leica
cassettes have a mechanical light trap that is opened by a special cam on
the baseplate which is attached to the latch key. When you lock the
baseplate on it opens the cassette so that the film can move freely without
any danger of scratching. When you open the baseplate it closes the cassette
to keep light out. Rather an ingenious mechanism. You can find them used for
about $15US to $30US each. The screwmount cameras should be able to use both
types of cassette but the M cameras can only use the slightly shorter chrome
knob ones.

John Collier