Subject: [Leica] was Minority? now flash & RF's!!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 11:22:50 -0800

Richard wrote:
>TTL flash metering in a RF Leica is really dumb<<<

Mike Johnston responded:

>Add me to the minority. I wouldn't use the word "dumb" but I can only
>think of one great Leica photographer who used flash, Lee Friedlander,
>and he used it only sometimes (he is quoted somewhere saying he started
>using flash because he wanted to play with his cameras indoors after
>dark, and the available light sucked. Well, I guess he didn't use the
>word "sucked." But anyway, he went on to do some significant work with
>flash, including some of his nudes and the "Factory Valley" work).
>Almost all the great Leica photography has been done using available
>light.>>>>>>

Hi Mike,  (from another minority body.) :)

I just can't imagine using flash with an M6 or any other Leica range finder
camera of any model!

It crossed my mind for a fleeting moment many years ago, so I got foolish
and tried it for about two exposures!   >>>> "Bleeeeeeech!"<<<< is the
appropriate description! :)

Took the flash off and there has never been a flash on any of my RF Leicas
since. All the flash does is completely destroy the balance of the camera,
period! Then make you stick out like a sore thumb with a twinkie light
flashing all over the place giving yourself away from the uniqueness of the
camera alone.

It's like, "If you can see it, you can shoot it!"

That's not too difficult to do if you understand the lenses you own, be
that one or many, and know how to handle your camera with a "Have no fear
and just shoot it!" attitude.

The films and developers, along with the Leica glass available for M
cameras of today allow everyone the ability to shoot by the existing light
and keeping the completely natural and exciting look to their photography.

And before anyone comes back with, "Well that's OK for you to talk, you've
got a Noctilux!" means diddly squat!  Anyone with a 2.8 can in most
situations make fine exposures if they are using the correct film and not
twitchy about shooting wide open. Hell, being wide open will probably give
you more interesting looking pictures than the stopped down blown in your
face flash look!

So does this mean I don't think flash should be used with a Leica?  Nope,
as long as you're using flash and an R camera, certainly a piece of cake
for "fill controlled flash" with an R8.

But with an M camera? I just can't ever see any use for it with this
camera. Yep and I know there are a number of talented LUGNUTS who use flash
with them on a regular basis and getting beautiful results. But that's
their cup of tea, not mine in the meaning of how to use M cameras. Like, I
guess,"to each his own." :)

Just my humble 2 pennies worth. ;)
ted

Ted Grant