Subject: Re: [Leica] Battery for M6 (long, and maybe useless!)
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 10:24:40 -0800

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I just checked and the two points seem to be
below the level of hte black plastic rear of the compartment.  I have found
that if I forget to put it on OFF it will be dead the next time I take it
out of the case, esp. if a "softie" is used.  (Not yours - a little gizmo I
picked up that has a bubble level built into it.)  I am getting better at
remembering and this last time I probably got 2-3 months.  I seem to get
better life with the silver batteries than the Li.

I opened the battery compartment and measured the contacts with my ohm
meter.  When it is set to OFF, there is indeed infinite resistance
regardless whether the shutter release button is pressed.  When it is set
anywhere other than OFF, even without pressing the release button, there is
about 13 meg-ohms resistance, so it drains when not in OFF regardless
whether the release is pressed, though obviously faster if the release is
pressed and the LEDs glow.  Does this battery check circuit check even if it
is OFF?

I also would like to ask you about a thread sometime back where there was
mention of a silver chrome battery door.  Do you know if this is available
and from where?

Tom Schofield