Subject: Re: [Leica] Ewrin's Gauntlet
From: Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 10:40:12 -0800

Ah Erwin, I am proud of you.  You finally came over to my way of
thinking, that due to the practically infinite set of variables, lens
tests of someone else's lenses conducted by someone else are not worth
the value of the ink and paper they are printed on. IF you want accurate
test results to see what YOUR lenses will do, you have to test them
yourself.  Foo on this questionable 2nd hand test results stuff that Mike
is trying to put off on you.    I mean, after all, how can anyone
seriously trust anyone len's test results except OUR OWN?     Don't feel
bad about Mike's test though, no one in their right mind thought you do
it anyway.

I have to admit though, I am looking forward to your new Leica Lens book
. It will be a great sales tool.  I can see every Leica salesman in the
world using it, as a justification to the Leica jewelry crowd that are
too lazy to test their own lenses (or in many cases, even to take
pictures).  Your book will prove what they already reasonably know:
newer design Leica lenses are almost always better than the older
designs. Which of course means higher Leica sales and more mint used
Leica equipment on the market.  Keep those tests coming Erwin, they help
make new and used camera stores a lot of money.  It doesn't matter that
you only seem to value the results of your own tests, which is a subtle
way of saying people should do their own lens tests and  not bother with
yours.

As far as the M4 quality question, you seem to have a very curiously bad
memory.   As was discussed in the LUG only a few months ago,  Leica made
a change in the M rangefinder about halfway through production of the
M4-2.  The new  viewfinder has  less parts, and a new tendency to flare
under some light conditions, making the 2nd RF image difficult if not
impossible to see.  This phenomena is well known and has been discussed
on the LUG for years.  Knowing this, how can you claim that a rangefinder
camera with an inferior rangefinder (the M6) is a camera with a better
rangefinder (the M4) ??   -- aside from the obvious consideration of
craftsmanship and finish

Again, it was great to see you were NOT fooled into believing that
someone else's lens test would have any real value to anyone else.

Stephen Gandy