Subject: [Leica] Re: Unreal
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 19:30:16 -0600

At 02:28 PM 16/01/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>>>Real Leica M photographers have been turning the shutter speed dial
>one
>way for decades<<
>
>As opposed to "un-real" Leica M photographers?
>Exactly. As opposed to casual dilettantes who own Leicas but seldom take
>pictures.

I did not have a problem with the way the shutter speed dial turns on the
M6.  I got used to it.  Now that the dial turns the other way on newer
versions, when I'm carrying two or three bodies it will be very easy to
make a careless slip on adjusting the shutter speed dial.  That can
potentially spoil some photos.  The way the shutter speed dial turned on
the "classic" M6 always seemed right, but others have felt that it
intuitively seemed to turn the wrong way, based on the direction the arrows
of the meter were pointing.  Anyway, my point is that it does not seem fair
to ridicule those who felt the shutter speed dial turned the wrong way.
These are not casual dilettantes, as you put it, and calling them so
undermines their concern which probably caused Leica to change the
direction the dial turns with the newer versions of the camera.