Subject: [Leica] 100 Q&A's with Leica
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 01:34:24 +0100

Hi, all.  Asahi Camera Jan issue features "100 Q's to Leica & 100 A's from
Leica".  I pick up some.

Q14- Will you make "brothers" of M6 as you made MD-a, M4-2, and M4-P?
A13- We will possibly increase brothers as M4-P and M4-2 but have no plan to
release M6 without a viewfinder.

Q18- Will you continue to supply a camera with mechanical shutter like R6.2?
A18- We currently have not plan to discontinue R6.2.

Q33- The red dot is unpopular.  Will you continue to use it?
A33- We will use it, but it is not determined where we put it on future models.

Q36- Minilux seems to be discontinued.  Can you make the Summarit 40/2.4 in
the M-mount?
A36- We have not discontinued Minilux.  We do not deny a possibility that
our lens engineers will make an M-mount lens out of this gem.

Q42- Will you release lenses with new focal lengths?
A42- We are currently studying a plan to make a lens wider than 21mm.

Q46- Will you make a Tri Elmar that covers other focal lengths?
A46- 28-35-50 Tri Elmar is a success because of its usefulness and
compactness.  We do not plan a lens such as a 35-50-90 which would be much
larger.

Q49- Some say that Leica lenses are designed to fit German or European
light.  Is it true?
A49- Light is the same anywhere on this globe.  Leica lenses are coated to
realise neutral color reporduction.  The only exception is Noctilux.

Q51- Which has better optical performance, Summilux-M 35/1.4 asph with a
ground aspherical element or one with a pressed aspherical element?
A51- The one with a pressed element is slightly superior at wide open in
terms of contrast.  When stopped down, they have identical performance.

Q59- Why does the shutter of M6TTL sound louder than that of M3?
A59- M3 has many gears and shafts made of brass, while M6 has steel parts.
This is for better reliability with an M-winder.  Another reason is that
steel parts need little grease which will dry.  The sound of M6TTL shutter
is not louder but has a different character.

Q63- Is it possible to make an AF body like Contax AX for Leica R lenses?
A63- That system has the following problems: 1) The movement distance is
limited, requiring manual pre-focusing with lenses between 90mm and 135mm.
2) Floating elements which are included in many wide-angle lenses cannot be
moved.  Therefore, we have no plan to develp similar systems.

Q64- Can we expect with current Leica cameras those feelings that we enjoy
when handling classical cameras with excellent mechanical precision,
plating, and paint?
A64- It is our understanding that Leica cameras are popular all over the
world because we have maintained that special craftmanship and feelings
which everyone expect from Leica products.

Q78- Will you revive Focomat?
A78- We sill have lenses for enlargers but think that an era of "blow up at
home" is over.

Q94- Who in your opinion are the five leading Leica photographers in the world?
A94- Henri Cartier-Bresson, Sebastio Salgado, Ralph Gibson, Hideki Fujii,
and Gianni Belenco Gardan (Sorry, spellings may be mistaken.)

Q100- What is the most frequent request or question from professional
photographers using Leica?
A100- "When will M7 appear?"

;-);-)

Sorry for poor translation.