Subject: Re: [Leica] Bessa-R released!
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:35:49 EST

Pancake lenses are fun on SLRs. But I can't see them being much more fun on
RFs, in part because conventional-barrel lenses are so small (take a look at
a Canon or a Leica 35mm RF lens - tiny). They don't leave a lot to grab onto.

The pancakes also seem to get that small by reducing the front shielding,
which leads to more flare. In which case you need a hood, and then there's no
point. They are a lot of fun on SLRs, though, because they can make SLRs
pocketable (although the flare potential remains). But they may look cool but
act more to make a tiny camera even harder to use.

Consider that an LTM body requires at least 28.8mm of *focusing* depth (more
like 40mm for a body casing), to say nothing of the projecting height. Trying
to shove a body like that alone into a pocket is not fun. No LTM body are not
pants-pocketable (unless they're skater pants). A pancake might make one more
coat-pocketable.

In a message dated 1/19/00 2:10:08 PM, Ruralmopics@aol.com writes:

<<
In a message dated 1/19/00 11:18:50 AM, skipwilliams@pobox.com writes:

>- Two new Color Skopar lenses, a pancake 35/2.5 and a more normal
>35/2.8.  Strange that they released two lenses with such similar
>specs.  They must had one of them already done for another purpose.  I
>
>can't believe that they'd create a new lens design just to save a little
>
>length.

You're not paying attention, then. The pancake design lens are highly desired
among Pentax K/M, Olympus OM and Olympus Pen users -- dare we say,
collectable, even. The pancake lens alone will likely produce camera sales.

Bob (would you have syrup or strawberries on that lens) McEowen
</XMP>

From: Ruralmopics@aol.com