Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 280mm f/2.8 APO lenses
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:50:31 -0500

Simon Coates wrote:

I am looking to purchase a telephoto lens for wildlife photography, and am
looking at the new 180mm f/2.8 APO. It weighs a lot less than the 70-180mm
f/2.8 zoom and will take Cokin filters (the f/2 version would be nice, but
do landscape photography also).

To complement this optic, I am also looking at the super telephoto range. I
inevitably am drawn to the APO-Modul system, in particular the 280mm f/2.8
or 400mm f/4
<<<

In addition to these excellent choices you may also want to consider a
fast-handling hand-held lens like the 400mm f/6.8 Telyt.  The Leica rep for
this area tells me the tripod socket on the modular APO lens heads will
accomodate the Leica shoulder stock but I suspect most of the time you'd be
using the modulars on a tripod.  The f/6.8 Telyts (400 and 560) were
designed to be used hand-held, and in that capacity they've been very
productive for me.  See my website for examples of how I've used 'em:

Another advantage of the f/6.8 lenses is they're inexpensive (for a Leica
lens).

Doug Herr
Sacramento