Subject: [Leica] Which fast 50mm?
From: Robb Williamson <Williamsonimages@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 01:18:14 -0500

Chris,

I switched from Canon F-1's to the first EOS 1 about ten years ago and now
with EOS 1n's rely on the Canons for all my work longer than 90.  I use
Leica M's for the shorter focal lengths and have used or owned almost every
EOS lens out there including the 1200 / 5.6 L.   I really like the EOS
system as well as the Leica M.

In a nutshell, I like the optics and don't like the operation of the Canon
50 / 1.0.  It is a specialty lens like the Noctilux and probably won't be
used very much by most shooters.  It is fairly heavy but also short with a
72mm  filter so I find it easy to handle on the EOS 1n with motor drive.
The weight of the SLR lenses doesn't bother me.  They are the tools I used
while learning photography and helped me make my mark working for the wire
services.  I'm very used to them.

The Canon lens uses a first generation ultrasonic lens focusing motor which
does not allow you to manually focus unless the camera is on and the lens
is set to Manual Focus.  The newer Canon lens designs allow for fast
touch-up focusing at any time in any focusing mode.  This lens does not
have internal focus.  The front element moves forward and back (it doesn't
rotate though) which makes for one of the slowest autofocusing lenses ever.
You really can not follow focus action or even moving objects using this
lens and autofocus.  But the autofocus for stationary objects, landscapes,
and portraits is fine.

The Canon lens' images have nice bokeh, and higher contrast, although I
prefer the Noct's color, sharpness, and 3D quality.  I'm sure Erwin could
provide a much more thorough description of the imaging qualities of each
and I would love to see him add this comparison to his fine library.
PhotoTechniques also had a great issue in 98 or 99 dedicated to images from
the Noctilux.

I borrowed a noctilux recently and thought very highly of the operation and
results, although I would probably use it with the .85 finder or an M3.
Most of the time, I would stick to my 50 sumicron.  To me, using the Noct
was like painting with soft colors.  I would use the Canon lens in slightly
brighter situations than the Noct where higher contrast and no background
were important like for fashion, stock work, or Advertising.  Once you hit
twilight and darker, I would opt for the Leica M and the Noct for capturing
more of a mood with those fine colors.

You really have to use both lenses as they can each be excellent in
different areas.
If my assignment takes me to the carribean islands for the Sports
Illustrated swim suit shoot - I'll take the Canon.
If I'm covering a news event, traveling, or a personal project  - I'll take
the Leica Noctilux.

Good Luck,

Robb Williamson
Colorado

<<<Here are the two choices: Noctilux or Canon f/1.0 50mmL.

That the Noctilux has its own special brand of Leica magic is a given.
That the Canon costs almost as much is also a given.

I have no idea how do they compare in terms of resolution at 1.0 and other
aperatures. I haven't seen a test report on the Canon. Can you help me out
on
this?

Onward:

The Noctilux mounts to a rangefinder camera for more silent and stealthly
shooting.
The Canon would mount on an EOS-3 and offer autofocus, which could be very
handy for grab shots in its intended low-light (and perhaps lowlife)
environment.

The Noctilux is pretty sizeable for a Leica M lens.
The Canon is gi-freakin'-gantic (takes 72mm filters and a weighs a portly
2.2
lbs.).

The Noctilux on my M6 TTL would make me just another Leicaphile who, up
until
the purchase anyway, had more money than skill (I'm speaking only for
myself,
here, and in no way denigrating those use Noctiluxes with skill and
daring).
Thus, I'd be subject to sneers and derision from LUGites after the initial
wave of awe had passed.

The Canon 50mm f/1.0 is, well, anonymous. I'd have to tell people what a
special lens it is before they could be awed. And they probably still
wouldn't care.

Other considerations are welcomed.

Finally, which lens would you choose?

Thanks for your advice,