Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Tilting at rewind cranks
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:53:47 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, John Collier wrote: When the M4 came out I seem to
remember statements in several reviews that the rewind crank was tilted as
an overdue update so the M cameras would have rapid rewind, just like all
of the other cameras of the day. Until then, the M2 and M3 had a knurled
knob rewind. If they had installed a level folding rewind crank, the crank
would have hit the MR meter, which extended quite far to the left of the
top deck.

> on 20/1/00 10:21 am, Michael Volow at mvolo@duke.edu wrote:
>
> > Since we're talking about Leica design, why is the rewind crank still
> > tilted. The original reason was to clear the MRx meters. But no apparent
> > reason for the tilt now, is there, except tradition..
> >

> I was under the impression that the rewind crank was tilted to clear the
> rangefinder optics. If it was not tilted it would have to be either proud of
> the top plate or, the camera would have to be significantly bigger.
>
> John Collier

Michael Volow (mvolo@duke.edu)
Durham, NC