Subject: Re: [Leica] rangefinder image
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:35:47 -0800

>I notice that when I line up the images in my M6, one image is just
>minutely lower than the other.  Is this on purpose? or is something
>wrong with the rangefinder? ...
>
>Charles Cason

charles,

don't worry - this is typical of m6 cameras. it's called parallex
decompensation, a special feature devised by leica engineers to fuel the
thriving m2 and m3 markets, as has been often pointed out here on the lug.
leica had to introduce an unprecedented number of plastic parts into the m6
to achieve this double rangefinder image, and thus drive up the price of
previous, less-sophisticated rangefinder models. it has been a surprisingly
popular move among leica users, judging from the number of related posts on
the lug.

guy