Subject: Re: [Leica] Load that thang
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:24:21 +0000

>arse,
>try reloading a '32 Leica II, including trimming the leader with a small
>
>pocket knife, at 2 AM on the top of a parking building in the breeze.
>It
>is, shall we say, a "challenging" experience<<<
>
>Martin,

>Ha! I've been telling my friends that reloading my IIIf takes "a
>tabletop to spread things out on, five minutes, and undivided
>attention." An exaggeration for effect, of course, but you know what I'm
>talking about.
>
>I've added another basic parameter to my list of desirable camera
>features: easy loading. Or at least not hair-shirt, perversely difficult
>
>It really does spoil an otherwise quite delightful camera design. I'd
>love to see what a modern camera designer could do in terms of a
>thoughtful, premium update of the basic screwmount Leica design. Picture
>a Leica III with a swing-open back and about the functionality of a CLE.
>Wouldn't that be nice?
>
>--Mike

In days of yore, people were in less of a hurry than us. They took their
time loading their leicas and chit chat along with their friends at the
same time. They carried pocket knives and took great pleasure in carving
the film to fit the camera. There was generally more dexterity all round
due to years of practice and people used their hands to do lots of things.
leica would have been in trouble long ago.

These days, with all the whizz bang automation, people are less dextrous.
Some are born with ten fingers but grow up having ten thumbs! I am quite
confident that the Leica II would be no problem for an average surgeon to
load.

Dan K.
                   How we live reflects what we treasure.