Subject: Re: [Leica] Color negs on black and white paper
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 19:04:11 -03-30

At 04:03 PM 22/01/00 -0500, you wrote:

>I have a hurry-up job to do this weekend and only have VC paper at hand. Am
>I screwed or is there a way? The picture is for newspaper reproduction and
>not exibition.
>
>Any tip for anyone who has had success with this would be appreciated.

         The old wire service trick was to use Ilford Multigrade paper with
a high contrast filter number,  #4 and above to get the desired effect.
You'll have to find the right combination. It would not be unusual to go as
high as #6 or #7 depending on your negs.

I had a colour head enlarger and I (If i remember... it's been 10 years)
used to dial in 70cc magenta and 10cc yellow to get the approx #5 contrast
filter ...or something like that.

It works, I swear!. ...and before the days of neg scanning, when we used to
have to make 8X10 prints for a drum transmitter, this was how we made
prints from colour negs.

Like you say, it ain't fine art but it's good enough for news work!

cheers,

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart