Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux result???? -filters
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:50:23 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 06:50 AM 1/23/2000 +0000, D Khong wrote:
> >
> >I've used my Noctilux with and without the filter on, and frankly folks, I
> >cannot tell the difference between the two situations.  Whatever perceived
> >degradation is, IMHO, only dandruff deep.
>
> It is the other way around, Dan.  The degradation caused by filters is
> real, but only can be seen when REALLY large blow-ups are made.  For normal
> use (4" by 5" to some, 5" by 7" to others, even 8" by 10" to yet others),
> it probably isn't observable.  But try a 20" by 24" full-frame blow-up,
> though, and you'll note a difference.
>
> It all comes down to those who absolutely, positively must have absolute
> optical perfection.  Those guys will never use a filter without a
> colour-correction reason or the like.
>
> Marc

This has all gotten be thinking about filter stuff again.
I've got B+W 060 yellow-greens at many sizes for every conceivable lens that I
have from 24E for my Rollei 35 to Bay 60 for my Hasselblad.
But one GAP.
Friday night I picked up a 67 from Pro Photo out of a grab box and it fit my
only view camera lens a Fujinon 210!
So I saved myself a pile of cash as I got it for only $20!
Now maybe I'll get that camera out and shoot some sheet film!
But as I'm playing around with the thing I look at the back of the lens sticking
out the back of the Lensboard, it is threaded.
I guessed it was 46mm, wrong. 49 fit! And I've got those because of my 135 3.4
APO.  Olympus sized!!!! Am I going to same some bucks or what?
I know AA used to put his gels on the back like that. I like the idea if feels
right to me. After the light goes all through the lens it THEN gets filtered.
Would the filter then not need to be multi coated as much? I love lenes with
rear filter arrangements! Anybody have any behind the scenes insights into all
this? I'm going to be tossing and turning all night about this. Ruminating!
Mark Rabiner