Subject: RE: [Leica] Noctilux result????
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 08:27:52 -0800

What does the neg look like when scanned in and image created digitally???
I think the only way to establish that the error is not at the printer, is
to scan the neg on a computer, make no alterations, and look at the
resulting "print" on a monitor.  If the vignetting is there, you will see
it.  IF not, then the printer is responsible.  Of course a contact print
would do as well.

The issue of vignetting is not one to be argued, but rather to be better
defined.  I use the term vignetting to refer to a physical blockage in the
optics system that intereferes with the light.  The term, IMHO, should never
be used when referring to  falloff of light due to bending of light rays.
We see both effects in this picture, I think.  Distinguishing between them
is important.  You can deal with vignetting by removing the obstacle ( 15 mm
lenses have a short front lens element to front of filter retaining ring
distance.  Otherwise the front of the lens would interfere with the angle of
coverage of the lens.)   The solution to light falloff is a center filter,
either real or a computer mask.

I used a Noctilux for the first time this past week.   It was for candids of
a wedding of a friend.  The film is at the lab now.  My only objection is
that the bride kinda quickly boogied down the isle without fanfare, which
left precious time to turn around and focus and shoot at F1.  To make it
worse, we were seated at trhe rear of the church, which left even less time
to react.  AT least I could shoot ASA 200 film at 1/125 of a second.  They
left the church as quickly.
The sad part is that the Pro at the wedding did not notice his flash was not
firing during some of the ceremeony.   He was using a Canon with a zoom
lens, at best an f4.  His shutter speed would have been 1/8 of a second if
he did it intentionally.  WIth these 2, the movemnent/blur would have been
incredible.