Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W filters
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:09:44 -0800

>I have been trying B&W film (Ilford HP5 Plus) with my first M6 TTL and 35
>Summicron.  I think that I would like to try some filters to bring out
>clouds.  I noticed that Leica no longer shows their 3 B&W filters on their
>WWW site.  Are these still available, is there any benefit to staying with
>Leica filters?  If not, what other brands have the best glass (B+W?)?
>
>Thanks,
>Ken

ken,

i've tried and liked b+w filters. i routinely use theor yellow, dark
yellow, and dark red filters with b&w film (i have yet to put a roll of
color film through my m6 or iiif) and am more than happy with the results
on paper. they darken up the sky (and sea, if you're shooting near the
ocean), bring out the clouds and, in the case of the dark red, cut through
haze. i've heard many a lugnut sing the praises (so to speak) of the
yellow-green filter for use with b&w film, but have yet to give one a try.

re: different brands, i've also heard the hoya filters are very good,
though haven't used them myself.

guy

p.s. whatever you do, do NOT ask about the use of uv filters here on the
lug. it is inappropiate and apochromatically incorrect.